This recipe combines two of my favourite flavours – dark chocolate and hazelnut. This tart requires no baking and is full of satiating good fats from avocado and coconut. I recently made this dessert for some dear friends, and it went down a treat! Here is the much requested recipe:
Ingredients (makes 4 small or 1 large tart)
200g hazelnuts, roughly 1.5 c
4 medjool dates
3 tbs coconut oil
2 medium avocados
1/2 c cacao powder
1-2 Tbs maple syrup
1/4 c coconut cream
For the base
- Place hazelnuts in a shallow pan on the stove. Toast over medium heat until fragrant and golden brown. Remove from the heat and sit to cool slightly.
- Place hazelnuts, reserving a few for decoration, into a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Add the coconut oil, medjool dates and pinch of salt to the hazelnuts and process until the mixture starts to come together.
- Press the base mixture into your choice of tart tin and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to set.
For the filling
- Add the avocado, cacao powder, maple syrup and coconut cream to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend together together until smooth and combined. You may need to stop a couple of times and scrape down the sides to ensure a consistent filling.
- Pour filling into the chilled tart case. Serve topped with raspberries and reserved hazelnuts.