450g dried red lentils
4 Tbs olive oil
1 brown onion
3 celery stalks
5 kale leaves
1 Tbs turmeric powder
1 Tbs coriander powder
3 bay leaves
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 L water
- Place the lentils in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 10 minutes and then rinse through a colander until the water runs clear. Pick out and discard any discoloured lentils.
- Place a large pot on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Finely dice the onion, carrots and celery and add to the pot, stiring occasionally until the onions turn clear.
- Add the turmeric, coriander powder and bay leaves.
- Add the stock and 500ml of the water – reserve the rest of the water and add if you need it.
- Add the red lentils and cover, leaving on low heat until the lentils are cooked through (about 30-45 minutes).
- Just prior to serving roughly chop the kale and stir through.